How to setup Web, GIT and monitoring server with Debian Wheezy. This site, actually, was set up by following this instruction.
Installing Linux is not a complex task, what you need is only to follow instructions and have basic understanding on the computer software and hardware. Of course, correct installation and maintaining of a Linux server may be complicated but nobody starts with a large datacenter - everyone starts from something smaller and here is an instruction on how to setup a Debian web-server and for not damage your computer.
If you are a software developer (like the most of my site readers), you may know that server side scripts are executed by the web server. Most famous of them is Apache, but many people nowadays consider nginx better and some even use node.js with its build-in server.
In this set of instructions I will show how to quickly install and configure Debian Linux server with PHP and node.js behind nginx. Experimenting with a real hard disk, especially with the hard disk of your primary computer, usually is a bad idea. I recommend using some virtualization software (VirtualBox, VMWare Player, or Virtual PC) to install the Debian Linux on the virtual machine.
Conceptual diagram of the services and applications:
- nginx is installed from the nginx.org repository
- php-fpm, php and mysql are installed from the dotdeb.org repository
- nginx listens the http(80) port and proxies requests to php-fpm and node.js.
- node.js is installed from sources, applications listen the ports starting from 3001
- one user per application (virtual host), own fpm pool and node.js instance for each application